Bilang Boy of the river - Out Reach Define

Bilang Boy of the river

Share:
Bilang Boy of the river -
 
0
 
 
  
 
 

11-year-old Bilang has a very old soul. He lives in a small village, a little distance on the edge of a virgin forest in northern Kalimantan, not so far from the Malaysian border.

My first encounter Bilang there about 18 months on one of my visits in this area and I was immediately impressed by her confidence and a natural way of dealing with children and adults. I could see that even at a young age the boy has potential for leadership and command the respect of many in the village of nine hundred people, mostly Dayak Kenyah tribe.

But when he ventures into the nearby forest bilang it really comes alive and connects with its Dayak mind. To attend this young man walking in the rivers, hunting under rocks for small crabs and fish with his spear gun and its natural link with the forest, I could see his father and the influence of grandparents.

His father Binyamin worked in Brazil for three years and saw for himself the destruction of forests and spent many stories Bilang and other family members of what he saw.

Next year this young man will be attending high school in Malineu, an hour's drive from Setulang and stay with his uncle. "I will miss my family and friends Setulang," Bilang said, "but mostly I'll miss the forest where I go hunting with my dad and fishing in rivers."

"I am very proud of my Dayak culture, but one day I want to travel as my father and see other places," continued Bilang.

Maybe Bilang is typical of a young Dayak boy his age at the crossroads that the forest and North Kalimantan environment is threatened by palm oil companies and logging. I wonder if in the future Bilang will be forced to land in a city with no other choice, because the nearby forests are destroyed like so many others in Borneo, or her children will be able to enjoy and connect with the natural environment and its Dayak beliefs, as Bilang today in a fully protected for future generations forest?

 
0